Monday, September 2, 2013

Evil, lying GEICO

As soon as I got the keys to my van, I called GEICO and got a car insurance. Although I thought perhaps the fact that I don’t have a US driver’s license would be an issue, it was quick and easy; “That’s no problem at all,” the lady told me. 

A few weeks later I got a note from GEICO asking me to send them my US driver’s license number. I sent a note back explaining that I don’t have one and will not have one for a while, since I was moving from IN to GA anyways, and well, these things take time. 

I got a note back saying this was OK. 

Then, a few days later, I got another note from GEICO telling me they were about to cancel my insurance because I had not provided a US driver’s license number. I called them, and the man I spoke to told me I had to give him a US license number or he couldn’t help me. I called again, and was told the same thing by a lady. 

I might have raised my voice a bit, telling them that they should have told me this when I signed up. Of course, none of this is the fault of the representative that I was talking to, so I also wrote an angry letter to GEICO, explaining what I thought of their service, requesting my money back. 

Then I shopped around for insurance, and got Progressive instead. They are much more tolerant towards foreigners, although I have to pay a little extra for it. But at least they didn’t lie about it. 

Today I saw a commercial for GEICO on television starring a pig as a driver. I think it’s supposed to be funny, but to me, it’s just insulting, as if they’re saying, “Look! We’ll insure pigs before we insure you!” 

Effing discriminators!

No comments:

Post a Comment